This recipe of Eastern European Spinach and Feta Cheese Pie is a wonderful, relatively easy recipe, very suitable for vegetarians. The combination of spinach with onions, leeks, dill, mint and Feta cheese will make you beg for more and will impress even a meat eater who will not say no to a second piece. Trust me, I experimented that on my husband, who is a steak type of guy and who doesn’t enjoy much the feta cheese. He loved this one!
The pie is baked on a 9×13 inch baking pan . It has a layer of puff pastry on the bottom, the spinach and feta cheese filling in the middle and another layer of puff pastry on top.
Cut it in squares and serve it warm or cold based on your preference. No matter how you eat it, it is a delicious dish that can be also served as an appetizer for a dinner, as a side dish or as a main meal for a vegetarian. Be creative and enjoy it!
Feel free to leave a note and tell me if you liked it!
- 1 package puff pastry sheets
- 16 oz spinach(frozen is ok)
- 2 medium onions
- 10 oz leeks
- 3-4 Tbsps vegetable oil
- 1 cup feta cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1 bunch dill
- 1 bunch mint leaves
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 egg lightly beaten for brushing the pastry
- Defrost the puff pastry sheets according to the package.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Chop the onion and leeks.
- In a skillet heat up the oil and add onions and leeks. Saute them until become translucent.
- Add the spinach , salt and pepper, and saute until soft.
- Remove from the stove and let cool for few minutes.
- Add chopped dill and chopped mint to the composition and mix well.
- Also add eggs and and crumbled feta cheese.
- Mix everything to combine.
- On a 9x13 inch baking dish place on the bottom one puff pastry sheet.
- Add all the vegetable mixture to the pan and spread it evenly.
- Place the other puff pastry sheet over the filling to cover it.
- Brush the top of the pastry with the egg and poke the top of the pastry with few holes using a fork.
- Place in the oven at 350F and bake for about 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Slice it in squares and serve it cold or warm.