On our travels around Spain we ate very often this dish called “Huevos rotos con patatas y jamon” or “Huevos estrellados with jamon serrano y patatas”. It is basically eggs with potatoes and their Serrano ham which is a food staple for Spanish people. Many cuisines around the world eat eggs with potatoes and add some form of meat that could be ham, sausage or chorizo. I like it because it is very versatile and you can make a version of this dish basically with anything you have around the house. I love the potatoes, but who doesn’t love potatoes in any form?
The dish is definitely comfort food, perfect for a weekend breakfast or even lunch. Or dinner. In Spain, the dish is made with fried potatoes made from scratch, sunny side-up eggs placed on top of the potatoes and then broken, letting the egg yolk drip over the potatoes and fried Serrano ham as a topping.
Let me tell you, it is delicious! Some versions are made by breaking the eggs over the fried potatoes and mixing them up, as I did in my recipe. Perfect to feed a crowd for a brunch for example!
I started by slicing and frying few potatoes in a pan in hot olive oil.
If you have some baked potatoes that you do not know what to do with them, this is a perfect choice. (peel, slice and fry them in some oil then continue with the recipe)
Because I do not have access to Jamon Serrano, I chose the regular American classic ham which I chopped in cubes and added to the potatoes. If you don’t have ham, maybe you have some sausage or Mexican chorizo(if you prefer spicy) or some Spanish chorizo which is totally different than the Mexican one.
Cook everything together for 2-3 minutes mixing gently in the pan without breaking the potatoes. Add some salt and pepper to your taste.
Break few eggs over the pan and let them cook for a minute. Then mix them with your potatoes and ham until the eggs are cooked.
At this point, you are ready to serve them.
Optional add some chopped chives over them for decor.
Super easy and delicious!
- 4 medium potatoes sliced
- 4-5 eggs
- 5-6 slices of ham diced in cubes
- salt and pepper to your taste
- 4-5 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Start by peeling and slicing the potatoes.
- Heat up the oil in a pan and fry the potatoes until crispy on both sides.
- Add the diced ham to the pan and stir until it starts to turn slightly brown on the edges (about 4 minutes).
- Make sure there is a small amount of oil still left in the pan (about 3 teaspoons). If not, add a little bit more oil in the pan.
- Season with salt and pepper to your taste.
- Break the eggs over the potatoes and ham. Let them cook for few seconds then mix them with the potatoes and the ham.
- Serve warm.