While growing up in Romania, French toast was always a dish served as an accompaniment to soups, sautéed vegetables or green leaves, like Creamy Spinach.
I simply do not remember having French Toast for breakfast with fruits, syrups and other things. Off course, times were difficult, food was scarce and people tried to make the best out of anything available. Eggs, milk and bread were a staple and sugar was not available all the time. The bread was tossed in milk and egg, then fried and served right next to the main dish because it was more fulfilling.
So, today, I am going to share with you a very simple, old recipe of the French Toast- Romanian style, that I grew up with, and that I hope will become part of the recipes you might want to try sometime.
When I made the recipe and took pictures few days ago, I served the French bread with scrambled eggs with vegetables and bacon. It was morning and this is what we had.
However, I am inviting you to try it with other foods also, like a good Tomato soup,
or Sweet Green Peas.
That’s why we do not add any cinnamon or vanilla to this version of French bread, so we can eat it with savory dishes.
I hope you all enjoy this basic, simple version.
- 8 slices of quality white brad
- 1 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp sugar
- 3-4 Tbsp vegetable oil for the pan
- optional: a pinch of nutmeg
- Slice bread 1 inch thick.
- Whisk together milk, eggs and the sugar, until sugar is dissolved.
- Heat up a skillet with the oil.
- Place each slice of bread into the mixture and make sure both sides of bread are covered.
- Remove the bread slices from the milk mixture and place them in the hot skillet to cook.
- Do not crowd them.
- Cook the bread both sides until golden brown on each side about 2-3 minutes.
- Serve immediately with soups, sauteed vegetables or green leaves.